Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Winners All Around

Last night was our PTA Reflections Award Presentations. Reflections is a program put on by the National PTA to encourage the artistic and creative side of kids. Every year they select a theme and the local units encourage the kids in their area to participate. The 1st and 2nd place winners go on to State, and the State winners then go on to National. The Theme this year was My Favorite Place. We had a couple of over qualified people in our community judge our entries and last night we presented the prizes on the local level. 3rd place gets $10, 2nd place $15, and 1st place $20. It was a nice night. The coffee shop that we have it in went all out to display the works very nicely. They also provided cookies, cider and water. It was very nice. I was very proud of the kids who took the extra time to enter this program. We had 24 entries. Which doesn't seem like a lot, but it actually doubled from last year. My children also entered this year. Kynzie placed 2nd with a visual arts entry entitled "In Moms Arms" it was a very nice drawing she did. Wyatt placed 2nd with a literary entry which was a poem entitled "In a Book". And Ty placed 1st with a literary entry which was also a poem entitled "The Baseball Field" I am very proud of the effort my kids put forth to enter. But beyond that I think the true winners for the whole night were the parents, teachers, school staff that came to support their kids. I had worried all weekend that the horrible man that called me last Friday would somehow have his way. But last night as I looked around a room full of people, I realized that the town I live in is not full of hate, but supportive, loving people. They are the true winners.

3 comments:

Pen-nut said...

Congrats to your kids - their poems were wonderful!! And Congrats to you for pulling together a wonderful awards evening for all the kids involved.

tif-do said...

No I didn't think to scan it before submitting it, now I wish I would have. Hopefully it will make it's way back to us.

Amie said...

Way to go, Ty, Kynzie, and Wyatt! Great job trying something new and stretching your wings! So cool that you won prizes too!

Tiff, I hope you are pleased with your efforts. It's so great for your kids to see you and your projects excel, and that helps give them the courage to try themselves!!