Thursday, January 18, 2007

Confrontation

I've never liked confrontation. I don't suppose to many people do. But I especially never thought or could for see my job in PTA making me the target of confrontation. I got 2 separate phone calls tonight from a wife then a half hour later her husband confronting me about the location that we chose to have an awards presentation night. I can't even put into word how mad these people made me. I'm still 2 hours later shaking with anger. But you know I held my ground, I spoke up, I didn't let her or he intimidate me or push their opinions on me. And I'm actually very proud of the way I handled myself. I have yet to understand why here in 2007 people just can't gain some tolerance for other people. Better yet I can't see why people try to bully others into their opinions. Better yet I can't understand why people don't come to meetings and voice their opinions where it might matter, instead of doing so on the phone 3 days before an event. Better yet, come up with a legitimate reason instead of a bigoted one. PTA is honestly about what's best for the kids, and while I'm here in no way is that going to resemble what this man and women stood for. I finally feel in my life I got into an argument worth getting into.

4 comments:

Amie said...

Way to stand your ground!

Alex's Human said...

Just out of strange curiousity, what exactly were these evil people objecting to???? Were you having the awards being presented out in the -16 degree weather or something???

tif-do said...

To make a long story short, these particular people didn't approve of the coffee shop we chose, because the people that own it have a lifestyle they don't approve of.

Alex's Human said...

In a small town like yours, sometimes it's difficult for kids to learn tolerance. "Different" people are often hard to find and even easier to judge. It's good to know that you're setting such a good example, not for only your kids, but for all kids... Be proud, cuz...