Thursday, January 12, 2006

Sad Kynzie

I guess I need a little back up. Yesterday a mother I don't know called and invited Kynzie to her daughters birthday sleep over, and the next day they were going to take the girls to the scariest place on earth, Chuckie Cheese, 82 miles from here. My gut fell and I told her I'd have to call her back. I know there is other girls going, and I know their parents, they are good people, I don't think they would put there kids in any danger. Anyway, in making my decision I called a friend who might know these people a little better, because their older daughter is friends with my friends daughter. My friend went on to tell me that their living situation is not so great and she wouldn't let her daughter go stay the night. So my gut instinct was right in instantly wanting to say no. But I was still in my head not wanting to be that parent, the overprotective one, the one that says no. Now I know why I was blessed with Kenneth as a husband. We had quite the talk on what's more important our child's safety or being embarrassed. Then it really hit me, if Kynzie was taken advantage of, if she was hurt in any way, I would have to hold on to that forever, because I was to embarrassed to be THAT PARENT. I still wasn't that parent, Kenneth was, he called and very politely told the mother that we aren't comfortable with our kids staying the night as peoples houses we don't know, but thank you for the invite. I say thank you for the super dad that he is. So Kynzie is sad that she can't go, but that's a scar she'll get over soon enouph.

5 comments:

TLC said...

I would have done the same!

leaner said...

me, too! I totally wouldn't let her go.

Pen-nut said...

Don't worry about being "The Parent". Be proud of it. If more people stood up for things more children would be safe. My kids know I'm the mean parent in town, oh well.

Hayduke said...

One time Mom and Dad wouldn't let me go stay with some people at Alamo lake, they were these really funny brothers but mom and dad didn't know their parents. I think that is why I started drinking.

tif-do said...

hayduke- nice, real nice!
everyone else- thanks for the input.